KLEK-LP is an Urban Music radio station based in Jonesboro, Arkansas. KLEK broadcasts on 102.5 F.M. The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council, the parent company, is a non-profit company whose mission is to be a “voice” for minorities within the Jonesboro Arkansas Community.
The purpose of these positions is to give students/volunteers a view into the world of radio, specifically a noncommercial/nonprofit urban radio station. After interning/volunteering with KLEK, students/volunteers will have knowledge and an understanding of station programming, show preparation and execution, technical aspects such as recording, mixing, and editing, as well as an introduction to the business side of radio.
The News Intern/Volunteer position is ideal for Journalism major or someone with previous Journalism experience or someone with an interest in working in news. (Note: this is not an exhaustive list and other duties may be required and assigned as needed.)
- Gather information, develop factual stories, and produce news stories for air and articles for the KLEK website and social media.
- Attend local meetings (city council/school board), events and take pictures and notes.
- Conduct field interviews at events and other places.
- Post and share relevant news stories on the KLEK website and social media.
- Work with the Morning/Afternoon Show Producer with news, police blotter, fire reports, etc.
In addition to the aforementioned requirements, an intern may be asked to do some of the following:
- Develop and produce on-air segments
- Go on the air for a limited amount of time
- Assist staff when show is broadcast from another location
- Pitch during on-air fundraisers and/or assist in other capacities during fundraising events
- Other duties as assigned
If you are interested please send your resume and 2 letters of recommendation to LaGanzie Kale, General Manager at [email protected]