MATCH 28: Arkansas State (16-11, 8-6) vs ULM (11-17, 3-11)
Friday, Nov. 9 • 6:30 p.m.
Fant-Ewing, La. Monroe, La.Series: A-State Leads 49-15
Live Stats: AStateStats.com
MATCH 29: Arkansas State (16-11, 8-6) vs Louisiana (14-14, 6-8)
Sunday, Nov. 11 • 12:00 p.m.
Earl K. Long Gym • Lafayette, La.
Series: A-State Leads 49-15
Live Stats: AStateStats.com
- This season is the 44th year of volleyball at A-State and the home team has an all-time mark of 1,042-530-5 (.658) and had the 19th most wins in Division I and was tied for the 25th best winning percentage in Division I history entering the 2018 campaign.
- Arkansas State enters the weekend with a 3-2 victory over Texas State and a 3-0 loss to UT-Arlington. The Red Wolves are 16-11 overall and 8-6 in Sun Belt Conference action.
- Senior Carlisa May moved into second-place on A-State’s all-time career kills list, surpassing Beth Cochran’s mark of 1636 kills from 1996-99. May currently stands at 1,777 kills and could catch all-time leader Margie Kolat (1991-94) who has 1,789 kills.
- May currently ranks sixth in the nation with 384 kills on the year, while also checking in at 11th in the nation with 4.74 kills per set.
Among active players in all of Division I volleyball, May ranks second with her career kills total, and ranks fifth among active players across all divisions.
- Ellie Watkins ranks 40th in the nation, and third in the Sun Belt, with 955 total assists on the season. She is also 72nd in the nation with 10.29 assists per set as a team the Red Wolves rank 60th in Division I with 1,091 total kills coming into the weekend.
- Senior setter Ellie Watkins has quickly become one of the school’s most dominant setters and has recently broke into A-State’s top-10 leaders in assists. Watkins is now chasing No. 9 Shelly Kirby, who handed out 2,343. Watkins is currently averaging 10.67 assists per set. In nine games of the 2018 campaign Ellie Watkins has handed out 40+ assists. Watkins sits at 1,951 career assists.
Red Wolves vs Ragin’ Cajuns
- Arkansas State has a 48-15 advantage all-time in the series against the Ragin’ Cajuns with Louisiana snapping a six-match losing streak to the Red Wolves with a 3-2 win over A-State on Sept. 29, 2017.
- The first meeting between the two schools occurred in the 1977 season with Louisiana (known as Southwestern Louisiana at the time) earning a 2-0 victory over A-State. The next meeting in 1980 at the Mississippi State tournament would see Arkansas State claim its first victory in the series by a score of 3-1.
- A-State and Louisiana-Lafayette met in 1982 at the Southland Conference tournament and every other matchup since then has come with both schools as members of the same conference, including the American South Conference and Sun Belt Conference, in addition to the Southland.
- A-State head coach David Rehr is 9-4 against the Ragin’ Cajuns in his tenure. He started out 1-3 against Louisiana with the lone win coming in the second meeting of his first season in 2012. Since then the team has won seven of eight over the Ragin’ Cajuns, including two sweeps in 2016 before losing the first match of the 2017 season.
- The most recent meeting took place on Oct. 9, A-State earned a 3-0 victory over the Warhawks. Carlisa May led the Red Wolves’ offense with 17 kills while Macey Putt added 14. In the match, Ellie Watkins handed out a game-high 30 assists while Tatum Ticknor paced the Red Wolves’ defense with 12 digs. Madison Turner had a team-high two blocks.
- Louisiana enters the match 14-14 overall and 6-8 in Sun Belt action. The Cajun’s split wins between ULM over the weekend. Friday, Nov. 2 the Cajuns’ earned a 3-2 (25-22, 22-25, 25-19, 19-25, 15-11) victory over ULM and dropped a 3-0 (27-29, 18-25, 23-25) decision to the Warhawks Sunday.
Red Wolves vs Warhawks
- Arkansas State leads the all-time series with ULM by a count of 40-5 and has won 33 straight matches versus the Warhawks.
The first three meetings occurred during the 1980 season. A-State won two regular season meetings, both by 2-0 scores, before the teams met at the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) Region IV Tournament in Huntsville, Texas with A-State claiming a 2-0 victory.
- The two teams were members of the Southland Conference from 1982-1986. A-State won the first four meetings in 1982 and 1983. However, ULM, then called Northeast Louisiana, won five straight meetings from 1984-1986 for its only five victories in the series.
Since those losses A-State won eight non-conference meetings with ULM and has won all 24 meetings between the two schools as members of the Sun Belt Conference with head coach David Rehr a perfect 12-0 against the Warhawks.
- Last season the Red Wolves swept ULM at First National Bank Arena with Carilisa May leading the way with 10 kills. The Red Wolves held the Warhawks to just a .118 hitting percentage in the match. Kenzie Fields collected a career-high 17 digs in the match, while Tatum Ticknor followed with 15.
- The most recent meeting took place on Oct. 13, A-State defeated the Warhawks in three sets (25-17, 25-17, 25-22) at First National Bank Arena. Carlisa May posted 14 kills while Ellie Watkins handed out a team-high 33 assists and 16 digs. ULM is 11-17 overall and 3-11 in Sun Belt conference play.
May the force be with you
- Senior Carlisa May moved into second-place on A-State’s all-time career kills list this past Sunday, surpassing Beth Cochran’s mark of 1636 kills from 1996-99. May currently stands at 1646 kills and could catch all-time leader Margie Kolat (1991-94) who has 1,789 kills.
- May also now ranks first on A-State’s career kils per set all-time list, currently averaging 4.75 kills per set in her career.
- Among active players in all of Division I volleyball, May ranks second with her career kills total, and ranks fifth among active players across all divisions. May sits at 1,777 kills on her career.Ttop 10– secured
- Senior setter Ellie Watkins has quickly become one of the school’s most dominant setters and has broke into the school’s all-time career sets list in just her two seasons at A-State.
- Ellie Watkins currently has 1,913 career assists after concluding the weekend against Georgia State and Georgia Southern earning her way into the Top-10. She is now chasing No. 9 Shelly Kirby who handed out 2,343. Watkins is currently averaging 10.67 assists per set.
- In nine games of the 2018 campaign Ellie Watkins has handed out 40+ assist. The senior has 955 assists on the 2018 campaign.
Original article source: http://www.astateredwolves.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211779320 | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council