JONESBORO – Seven students at Arkansas State University have received the prestigious Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) grant in the annual competition administered through the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE).
Through the SURF program, undergraduate students conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study, under the guidance of faculty mentors.
All seven of the students’ projects are funded through ADHE’s SURF grant program.
This year’s recipients, academic major, project title, grant amount, and A-State faculty mentor are:
- Lucianne Burner of Moscow, Pa., physical education, “The effects of acute exercise on an ACT prep test and profile of mood states,” $2,750, Dr. Blair Dean, professor of physical education.
- Bryce Dickerson of Jackson, Mo., biological sciences, “Discovery of novel RNAs for diagnosis and treatment of heart disease,” $4,000, Dr. Viswanathan Rajagopalan, assistant professor of biomedical sciences at New York Institute of Technology-College of Osteopathic Medicine, and holder of a joint appointment with A-State.
- Krista Henderson of Hot Springs, mathematics education, “Differential expression and correlation analysis of histopathology and proteogenomics data for ovarian cancer,” $4,000, Dr. Mohamed Milad, assistant professor of statistics.
- Shannon Hughes of West Plains, Mo., civil engineering, “Molecular dynamics simulations of dislocation dynamics in core-shell nanostructures,” $4,000, Dr. Robert Fleming, assistant professor of mechanical engineering.
- Amelia Singh of Jonesboro, mathematics, “Statistical analysis of DNA methylation data in a chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL),” $4,000, Dr. Mohamed Milad, assistant professor of statistics.
- Lloyd Thomas of Hughes, computer science, “Secure inter-process communication in computer systems,” $2,750, Dr. Donghoon Kim, assistant professor of computer science.
- Samuel Whitmire of Jonesboro, mathematics, “Fractional derivatives, integrals, and the generalized fundamental theorem of calculus,” $2,750, Dr. Jie Miao, professor of mathematics.
# # #
Original article source: http://www.astate.edu/news/seven-undergraduate-students-earn-research-fellowships | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council