JONESBORO – Twenty-four faculty members who retired during the 2020-21 academic year were recognized for their longtime service and contributions to Arkansas State University during the annual Faculty Honors Convocation.
Each person retiring with 10 or more years of service also is awarded emeritus status.
Dr. Alexander Sydorenko, professor of history, has the longest term of service, with 48 years, followed by Dr. Gil Fowler, professor of journalism, with 42 years. Dr. Ralph Ruby, who died in November, had 41 years of service.
Those recognized during the Convocation of Scholars event, along with title and length of service at Arkansas State, were:
- Annette Bednar, assistant professor of clinical lab science, 11 years
- Dr. Sandra Bevill, professor of business communication, 30 years
- Karen Blue, assistant professor of nursing, 23 years
- Dr. Richard Burns, professor of English and folklore, 28 years
- Helen Duclos, instructor in English, 22 years
- Dr. Gil Fowler, professor of journalism, 42 years
- Karen Fullen, program director of social work, 17 years
- Dr. David Gilmore, professor of microbiology, 29 years
- Dr. Diane Gilmore, instructor in biology, 19 years
- Dr. Anne Grippo, associate dean and professor of biology, 26 years
- Cathy Hall, associate professor of nursing, 30 years
- Dr. Edward Hammerand, associate professor of computer science, 30 years
- Dr. Susan Hanrahan, dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions, and professor of physical therapy, 26 years
- Dr. Jeff Jenness, associate professor of computer science, 30 years
- Dr. Rick Lott, professor of English, 32 years
- Cindy Nichols, instructor in curriculum and special education, 16 years
- Dr. Joe Nichols, professor of educational leadership, 20 years
- Dr. Gregory Phillips, professor of agriculture, 19 years
- Collin Pillow, instructor in media and journalism, 23 years
- Judith Pfriemer, assistant professor of nursing, 29 years
- Dr. Ralph Ruby (recognized posthumously), professor of computer and information technology, 41 years
- John Salvest, professor of art, 34 years
- Dr. Alexander Sydorenko, professor of history, 48 years
- Dr. Richard Wang, associate professor of political science, 34 years
In addition, several individuals who have attained service milestones of 55, 35, 30, 25, 20 and 15 years were recognized. Those recognized and their academic areas are:
55 Years: Dr. Jerry Crawford, economics
35 Years: Denise Manning, mathematics.
30 Years: Dr. Sandra Bevill, business communication; Dr. Deborah Chappel Daniel, English; Cathy Hall, nursing; Dr. John Hall, psychology and counseling; Dr. Robert Lamm, English; Dr. Farhad Moeeni, computer and information technology; Dr. Sarath Nonis, marketing; and Dr. Andrew Sustich, physics.
25 Years: Dr. Blair Dean, physical education; Dr. Sarah Wilkerson-Freeman, history; and Dr. Karen Yanowitz, psychology.
20 Years: Dr. Lisa Drake, nursing; Dr. Kelly Fish, computer information and technology; Dr. Gauri Guha, economics; Dr. Tillman Kennon, science education; Dr. David Kern, economics and finance; Dr. Julie Lamb-Milligan, gifted education; Dr. Pradeep Mishra, printing services; Dr. Joe Nichols, educational leadership; Dr. Amy Pearce, psychology; Judy Reed, accounting; Dr. Paula Ruby, computer information and technology; Jody Walker, engineering.
15 Years: Dr. Gary Edwards, history; Dr. Ashraf El Sayed, civil engineering; Dr. Dixie Keyes, middle-level education; Dr. Steven Green, soil and water conservation; and Dr. John Mello, supply chain management.
# # #
Original article source: http://www.astate.edu/news/retiring-and-veteran-faculty-members-recognized-during-convocation-of-scholars | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council