Travis Clayton | Arkansas State
Arkansas State (7-8) vs. Southern Illinois (10-5)
Tuesday, March 10 | 6:00 p.m. | Tomlinson Stadium/Kell Field | Jonesboro, Ark.
Watch (Facebook Live) | Live Stats | Weather Forecast
Pitching Matchup | RHP Brandon Anderson (1-1, 3.00 ERA) vs. LHP Kyle Back (1-1, 9.00 ERA)
- The Red Wolves (7-8) enter the midweek contest after taking two of three from Gardner-Webb over the weekend.
- Tuesday night’s starter, Brandon Anderson (1-1), has pitched to a 3.00 ERA over 9.0 innings. The junior has registered 16 K, over his last two outings against Mississippi Valley and SEMO.
- After Arkansas State’s midweek lose to SEMO, the squad saw its 2020 midweek action record drop to 2-1.
- Senior Zech Jarrard, pitched 4.0 innings in relief, in Saturday’s contest against Gardner-Webb and retired all 12 batters he faced.
- Through 15 games, the Red Wolves starting pitching staff has pitched to a respectable 2.56 ERA over 77.1 innings. The starting staff has allowed 66 hits, 30 runs and 25 walks to go along with 66 strikeouts.
- Through 13.2 IP, Junior Will Nash (0-0) has pitched to an impressive 1.32 ERA while only allowing five hits, five runs as he’s punched out 13. Opposing batters are only registering an .100 average against Nash. Nash is making his first start on the bump for the Red Wolves on Friday.
- Liam Hicks and Ben Klutts both upped their on base streaks move to 15, over the weekend series against against Gardner-Webb.
- Ben Klutts is leading the squad in a avg. (.355) and hits (22) as he has registered a .484 slugging percentage, .43 on base percentage.
- Liam Hicks’ 17 walks on the season is most on the squad and in the Sun Belt. His team-high 35 stolen bases is good for sixth most int the Sun Belt.
AT THE SANDLOT
- The Red Wolves trail the All-time series by a count of 26-49. The Red Wolves and Salukis met for the first time in 1948 with A-State winning the first two games by scores of 3-2 and 8-6
- Arkansas State won the first game in 1949 by a score of 14-2 in Jonesboro before SIU got on the board with a 6-3 win in Carbondale later in the year.
- The two teams played every season from 1948 to 1957 with SIU leading the series by a count of 13-6, including a sweep of four games in the 1953 campaign. However, the Salukis dominated the series when it resumed in 1963 to the tune of 24-2 mark through 1978 with the two teams playing most years during that time frame. A-State won the first game in 19631-0 and won again in 1966 5-0, but Southern Illinois won 16 straight after that.
- The series picked up again in 1988 with A-State splitting four games with SIU. The teams played 17 games from 1988 through 1996 with the Red Wolves holding a slight 9-8 mark. The series resumed again in 2008 with A-State taking a loss.
- SIU enters the midweek contest 10-6 overall, after taking a series sweep over northern Illinois.
Original article source: https://astateredwolves.com/news/2020/3/9/red-wolves-baseball-welcomes-southern-illinois.aspx | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council