Travis Clayton | Arkansas State
vs. UT ARLINGTON
Saturday, October 17 • 1:00 PM CT • Arlington, Texas
College Park Center
|ESPN+ • Live Stats
Last Meeting: A-State, 3-2 (Nov. 8, 2019 in Arlington) • A-State Record vs UTA: 11-11 • Streak: A-State, 2
- Arkansas State has met UT Arlington 22 times entering the week, dating back to 1982. The series is deadlocked at 11 wins apiece, although UTA owns a 7-5 lead when the match is played in Arlington. A-State owns a two-match winning streak, with both victories occurring in 2019.
- A-State ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference in opponent hitting percentage (.093) and is first in blocks per set (2.89).
- Arkansas State has held all its opponents to a hitting percentage of .200 or less in all five matches, including three sub-.100 marks. Dating back to last season, A-State has held its foes to under .200 in eight of the last nine matches.
- Josie Stanford’s 28 kills on 10/3 vs. Little Rock was the most in a match by a Sun Belt Conference player this season and the highest total for an A-State player since 2018 (Carlisa May, 29). It also is tied for the most by a player in a match in the NCAA and is the most for a four-set match this season (as of Oct. 11).
- A-State is 41-1 since the 2017 season when taking the first two sets – 2-0 in 2020.
- UT Arlington enters the weekend 3-0 after taking all three matches at Little Rock last weekend (3-1, 3-0, 3-2). The Mavericks have had multiple matches postponed or canceled, including Sept. 25-26 versus A-State.
- UTA is led by reigning Sun Belt Conference Offensive Player of the Week Brooke Townsend, who leads the team in several statistical categories including kills (48), points (53.0) and attack percentage (.349). Kylee Kapp leads the Mavericks in assists (79) and aces (9) while Briana Brown is the reigning SBC Freshman of the Week after tallying 40 kills over the weekend (including 26 in the series finale). Michaela Wright leads UTA at the net with 19 total blocks, and reigning SBC Defensive Player of the Week Alli Wells leads in digs (81).
- Last weekend, A-State took three straight matches against ULM, only dropping one set to improve to 4-1 on the year. On Thursday, A-State picked up its first of two sweeps on the weekend. Friday’s doubleheader began with ULM taking a tight second set in the first match to even things up early, but the Red Wolves went on to take the third and fourth to win. In the nightcap, A-State played one of its best matches to date en route to a quick sweep over the Warhawks.
- 6′ 0″
Original article source: https://astateredwolves.com/news/2020/10/15/womens-volleyball-preview-a-state-at-ut-arlington.aspx | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council