JONESBORO, Ark. (2/23/20) – After completing a stellar regular season, the Arkansas State men’s and women’s track and field teams will head to Birmingham, Alabama, for the fourth time this season, this time competing for conference championships at the 2020 Sun Belt Indoor Track and Field Championships Monday and Tuesday.
2020 Sun Belt Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships
Dates: Feb. 24-25, 2020
Location: Birmingham, Alabama (Birmingham CrossPlex)
Meet Coverage: Meet HQ | Live Results | ESPN+: DAY 1 (4:30 p.m.) | ESPN+: DAY 2 (2 p.m.)
- Since joining the Sun Belt Conference in 1991, Arkansas State’s indoor/outdoor/cross country teams have combined for 23 total conference crowns, including 11 (7 men, 4 women) indoors. A-State’s last men’s indoor championship came in 2018, while the last indoor title for the women came in 2013.
- Individually, A-State has tallied 82 total men’s indoor championships in addition to 59 on the women’s side.
- Sharika Nelvis owns the A-State record for most career indoor conference titles (12).
- Carter Shell is looking to defend his 2019 indoor long jump crown, while Arabriaun Mack has also claimed the top spot in the women’s long jump back in 2018.
- Arkansas State athletes have been busy re-writing the record books this indoor season, with a total of 45 mark moving into the top 10, in addition to three program records. Bennett Pascoe has been key in two of those three records, breaking a nearly-60-year-old record in the mile and a 15-year-old DMR record.
- In Arkansas State’s final tuneup as a squad ahead of the conference championships, both the men’s and women’s distance medley relay records fell, with the men posting the top time of the week in Division I.
- With Arkansas State’s historic finish at the 2019 SBC Cross Country Championships, the Red Wolves capped off an incredible year for the program. In those six events, A-State finished no worse than second, while no other school placed inside the top four in all championship meets during that span.
- Arkansas State has two women’s pole vaulters who transferred into the program prior to the 2019-20 season, and they have continued the historic success A-State vaulters have had in previous years.
- Lauren Beauchamp (Northern Iowa) and Callie Hicks (Kansas) came into the program and rank first and second entering the conference championships.
- Beauchamp is no stranger to podium finishes, as she claimed the 2018 Missouri Valley Conference indoor crown as a freshman before earning bronze in the outdoor championships that season.
- Both Beauchamp and Hicks rank in the top 10 all-time at A-State, with both clearing the 3.90m threshold in their first season as Red Wolves.
For the latest on the A-State track and field program, follow @AStateTrack on Twitter and @Arkansas_State_Track on Instagram, while also liking the team’s Facebook page at Facebook.com/AStateTrackAndField.
Original article source: https://astateredwolves.com/news/2020/2/23/track-field-preview-2020-sun-belt-indoor-championships.aspx | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council