- The Red Wolves (4-4) are entering the weekend series after a 2-0 midweek sweep over Mississippi Valley State. Following the sweep, Arkansas State saw its all-time record against SWAC opponents move to 13-2.
- Senior Chandler Coates upped his scoreless inning streak to 14 innings (14.0, 7 H, 0 R, 6 SO, 2 BB) (SFA Feb. 16 & UNO Feb. 23), the last A-State pitcher to have a streak of that length was Tyler Zuber in 2015 against Louisville (Feb. 21, 2015) & Houston Baptist (Feb. 28, 2015) (14.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 7 SO).
- Through eight games, the Red Wolves starting pitching staff has pitched to a respectable 1.29 ERA over 42.0 innings.
- The starting staff has only allowed 28 hits, 11 runs (6 earned) and 10 walks to go along with 41 strikeouts.
- Liam Hicks and Ben Klutts have both moved their on-base streak to (8) after the two-game midweek series against Mississippi Valley State.
- Liam Hicks is currently owns a team-high seven game hit streak. Hicks also leads the squad in walks (8).
- Jaylon Deshazier and Liam Hicks are the only Red Wolves to record a multiple RBI game this
- Jaylon DeShazier’s 6 hits Wednesday against MVSU tied a school record. It was only the 2nd time in school history that the feat has been accomplished. The only other person to do it was Shane Eaker, who had 6 hits against Little Rock in 1992
- Tyler Duncan is currently leading the squad with a .375 average. His nine hits is fourth most on the team
- Liam Hicks leads the Red Wolves in a number a statistical categories including slugging percentage (.636), Walks (8) and total bases (23).
AT THE SANDLOT
- Arkansas State leads the all-time series with Dallas Baptist 2-1.
- The most recent, but not so recent meeting took place in 2000 at the Dallas Baptist Classic, the Red Wolves took the meeting 10-3.
- Arkansas State and Dallas Baptist met on the diamond for the first time in 1999. The schools split wins, with DBU taking the first meeting 10-3 and Arkansas State taking the second game 13-7 at Tomlinson Stadium, under head coach Bill Beathea.
- David Jeffrey is leading Dallas Baptist at the plate, hitting .400 on the season with a team-high nine RBI.
- The Patriot pitching staff has pitched to a 2.83 ERA and have struck out 80 batters in eight games played. Dominic Hamel leads the staff with 19 strikeouts
Original article source: https://astateredwolves.com/news/2020/2/27/arkansas-state-baseball-travels-to-dallas-baptist.aspx | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council