Travis Clayton | Arkansas State
Arkansas State (5-6) vs. Southeast Missouri State (6-6)
Tuesday, March 3 | 6:00 p.m. | Tomlinson Stadium/Kell Field | Jonesboro, Ark.
Live Stats | Weather Forecast
Pitching Matchup | Brandon Anderson (1-0, 1.89 ERA) vs. TBD
- The Red Wolves (5-6) are entering the midweek contest after taking one of three from top-15 opponent Dallas Baptist. Arkansas State baseball saw its record move to 5-6 over the weekend.
- Senior Chandler Coates saw his lengthy 19.0 scoreless inning streak come to a close, Sunday afternoon, when he surrendered six runs, in the Red Wolves 12-4 loss to the Patriots.
- Through 11 games, the Red Wolves starting pitching staff has pitched to a respectable 2.16 ERA over 58.1 innings. The starting staff has allowed 47 hits, 20 runs and 14 walks to go along with 50 strikeouts.
- Through 8.2 IP, Junior Will Nash (0-0) has pitched to an unflawed 0.00 ERA while only allowing three hits, two runs as he’s punched out 11 batters. Opposing batters are only registering an .100 average against Nash.
- The 23 runs scored in Arkansas State’s midweek contest against Mississippi Valley (2/26) was the most runs scored since the squad outscored Appalachian State 27-8 on May, 4 2019.
- Brandon Anderson (6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 13 K, 2 BB), earned his first victory of the year, when he worked 6.0 innings, only allowing one hit, one run and two walks, in Arkansas State’s 6-1 win over the Delta Devils.
- Jaylon Deshazier’s 6 hits Wednesday against MVSU last week, tied a school record. It was only the 2nd time in school history that the feat has been accomplished. The only other person to do it was Shane Eaker, who had 6 hits against Little Rock in 1992
- Tyler Duncan is currently leading the squad with a .375 average. His 14 hits is tied four second most on the team with Liam Hicks.
- Liam Hicks leads the Red Wolves in a number a statistical categories including slugging percentage (.756), Walks (11) and total bases (31). Hicks’ four home-runs is a team-high and is a four-way tie for most in the Sun Belt Conference.
- A-State leads the all-time series with Southeast Missouri by a count of 39-33. The series began in 1959 with an A-State 3-1 win.
- SEMO bounced-back to claim an 11-2 win in the 1960 game, but A-State won five straight contests from 1961 to the first game between the two schools in 1963. The Red Wolves won three games in the 1962 season against the Redhawks, including a 6-2 win in the Southwest Regional. SEMO broke the streak with 4-0 and 5-4 wins to end A-State’s 1963 campaign.
- Arkansas State and Southeast Missouri played in the 1967 NCAA Midwest Regional of the College Division with A-State claiming a 12-6 decision. The Red Wolves defeated the Redhawks in 1968 6-1, but didn’t resume the series for 20 years until SEMO took two games in 1988.
- The two teams have played every season since 1988.
- Arkansas State has taken the two most recent midweek contest against SEMO 11-3 (March 26) and 8-4 (April 16) to see it win streak increase to five.
- The Last time the Red Wolves suffered defeat from the Redhawks was on April 5 in Cape Girardeau, where Arkansas State dropped a 10-5 contest.
DID YOU KNOW
- Arkansas State is 5-0 when its out hits its opponent and 0-6 when its opponent out hits them.
- A-State is 4-1 when it notches two or more hom runs in a game, 0-3 when it only hits one and 1-2 when it doesn’t hit a homerun at all.
- The Scarlet and Black is 1-3 when its opponent scores first and 4-3 when it scores before its opponent.
- The Red Wolves are 5-1, when lead after six innings, 0-3 when trailing after six and 0-2 when the contest is tied after six innings.
Original article source: https://astateredwolves.com/news/2020/3/2/arkansas-state-baseball-to-host-southeast-missouri-state.aspx | Article may or may not reflect the views of KLEK 102.5 FM or The Voice of Arkansas Minority Advocacy Council